Thursday, December 15, 2005

Gloden Gobes

Like most every other thing on earth with DNA and an affinity for movies, I was underwhelmed by the ’05 crop of Golden Globe nominees. I can't say I saw *any* of them, mostly because their choices all seemed like work to watch.

"Cinderella Man," unhhhh....

"North Country," oof....

"Squid and the Whale," orrrg....

Me and the Domesticpartnerbomb will see "Brokeback Mountain" for the hot dude-on-dude wrangling, but aside from that, I don't wanna see "Match Point" or "Walk the Line." I! Don't! WANNA!

My friend Dave Renard asked me for my five best flicks of 2005, and I was hard-pressed to offer anything beyond "Jarhead" (very good, but not great) and "40-Year-Old Virgin" (great, but with comedies being disreputable entertainment for intellect-yules and all...).

The point? I guess I really liked "Episode III" and "Wedding Crashers" - which will get me pilloried - but this year was dry like riesling. All our good movie-ing was done on Netflix this year, meaning that "Bridge On the River Kwai" and "OldBoy" rocked our world more than Joaquin Phoenix.