Friday, November 11, 2005

Morning in Liberia... and Germany

Presumptive congratualations to Liberia's new president Ellen Johnson-Sirleaf, the first female leader in the whole of Africa – if the corruption-filled election process ever comes down from a boil, as George Weah supporters are starting to look all like kids with bricks in the hands standing in front of a Seattle Starbucks in 2001.

It's a long way to go for a WTO reference, I'll grant...

Also, Angela Merkel is set to become the first female chancellor of the Motherland, her Christian Democrat party having made a coalition deal with the Social Democrats. I don't think those words all mean the same in German as they do in English, so I'm not exactly sure if you have to be a Christian or a Baader-Meinhoff to get into the major democratic process. I studied German for four and half years, and beyond Helmut Kohl and Christo's Reichstag stunt, I know fuckall about Deutche-politiken.