Saturday, May 06, 2006

Review of a movie I haven't seen:
"Silent Hill"

I enjoyed "Silent Hill"very muchly. Based on the popular series of gruesome video games, Christophe Gans has done an admirable job of adapting an expansive plot and twisted visuals into the framework of a motion picture, all the while sidestepping the pitfalls of such other video game adaptations as "Super Mario Brothers," "Remains Of the Day," and "Excitebike."

I especially liked the scene with the helicopter... there was this ingenious setpiece that involved a whirlybird and an array of CGI characters. I know it sounds ludicrous, but you have to take my word for it. The main character is riding on the skids of an Apache attack helicopter when it swoops through a hangar full of gun-toting baddies. To me, it rivals the 100-man "Burly Brawl" from the Matrix Reloaded."

Special mention has to go to the casting of Henry Winkler as the principal, a role that could be seen as stock if not for the deft, actorly handling of his tough-love philosophy. Winkler's scenes are electric, and his chemistry with lead Radha Mitchell was incredible.