Monday, May 08, 2006

Smug is now at $3 a gallon

Among my favorite reasons for living the urban life is the access to extensive public transportation. New York has, like, the largest subway system in the known universe, and there doesn't seem to be anywhere in the four contiguous boroughs you can't get to.

I love it today, especially, because of the fucking high gas prices -- I've literally driven a car only twice over the last 12 months, and I haven't owned a vehicle since 2001. What seemed like a sine qua non growing up in the ’burbs is now either an extreme luxury or a nuisance, depending on how you think about it. I love not giving a fuck about gas prices. I love not giving a fuck about anyone else's hardship over high gas prices. I love not giving any fucks about the Saudi oilfields, or the saber-rattling of Hugo Chavez and Argentina's oilfields.

I'm not part of the problem. I'm part of the solution.

Not only am I not creating an extra demand for fossil fuels, I'm also not contributing to greenhouse emissions with a personal auto anymore. And of course, since I'm in this position, I can't see why anyone else wouldn't want to be in the spot I am.

Hence, the entry of staggering levels of smug. In fact, if there were a per-barrel price on smug right now, it would be at record lows on account of a glut.